Friday, May 7, 2010

Phase 2: Complete

I'm pleased (and surprised) to announce that phase 2 is already complete. Now the ship moves around AND fires bullets.

I'm finding one major challenge with writing graphic-driven programs is that debugging isn't as simple as writing a bunch of text to the screen every step of the way. While I could still write log files if I wanted to, I'm going to use this as an opportunity to learn how to properly use a debugger. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express, so there's already a solid debugger at my disposal. So far, it's already helped me work my way through a couple of potentially nasty bugs with relative ease, so I'm definitely feeling good about deciding to use it!

On another note, for some reason whenever I tried to use an STL iterator, I would get a bizarre Linker error:

"...error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___CrtDbgReportW referenced in..."

It took a little Google-ing for me to find that I needed to remove the _DEBUG; entry from my project properties:

Alt+F7 (Project Properties)->Configuration Properties->C/C++->Preprocessor->Preprocessor Definitions

After deleting _DEBUG; from this entry, the program compiled and linked without issues.

Phase 3, here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment