Saturday, June 19, 2010

One step forward, one (massive) step back

Thanks to Darkness for shedding a little light on the memory leak courtesy of TTF_RenderText_Solid. Shmup02 specs are still in the works, but I might try to write up a game design doc based on the Shmup01 engine first. Of course, this would require a couple more modifications to the engine (such as storing level data).

In the meantime, one big dilemma I've been facing is whether I should be using float or int for all of my coordinates. More details can be found on my gamdev.net forum post. Ultimately, it sounds like float is the way to go, which means I'll need to do some serious reworking of the engine to eliminate all traces of int from the code. It's going to be a pain, but I think the long term benefits will be worth it.

In the meantime, stay tuned for updates on my Shmup01-based game!

No comments:

Post a Comment